In 1861 the Reverend Edward A. Wilson began advertising in numerous papers that he had been cured of consumption by a simple remedy, the recipe for which he would send free to anyone needing it. This continued into April of 1864, but only appeared once therafter in May of 1867. In 1871 the Reverend must have decided to manufacture his cure and market it. The result was expensive, at $3 a bottle. This required a twelve-cent tax stamp, the only medicine to have a private die stamp prepared for it in that denomination.
The Wilson stamp was first issued in September of 1871 and last delivered on January 23, 1882. Only 16,173 were printed on silk paper and 5,245 on watermarked paper. The copy shown is printed on silk paper.