D. Ransom & Company
D. Ransom, Son & Company
Doctor David Ransom began his practice in Buffalo, New York in 1846. He produced Dr. D. Ransom's King of the Blood, claiming to cure cancers and cancerous tumors "without the surgeon's knife," as well as scrofula and consumption! Then there was Dr. A. Trask's Magnetic Ointment for croup, sore throat, diphtheria and rheumatism. Other magnetic balms and Indian balm pills followed.
Ransom commissioned two private die stamps, which were first issued in July of 1865 and last delivered in August of 1875.
2,227,350 of the one-cent blue stamps were issued on old paper and 1,804,030 on silk paper. Both of the copies above are on old paper.
In 1872 or 1873 the name of the company was changed to D. Ransom, Son & Company. Dr. David Ransom died about that time, and his son and Sullivan Meredith took over. The new company used the stamps of the predecessor organization into 1875, when the National Bank Note Company took over the printing contract and probably insisted that companies update things like that. At any rate, stamps with the new corporate name were issued in 1876. These were produced until almost the end of the tax period, being last delivered on March 2, 1883.
2,356,760 of the one-cent and 1,115,320 of the two-cent stamps were printed on silk, pink and watermarked papers. The ones shown are both on pink paper, though that is most evident on the two-cent one.
An 1867 almanac from D. Ransom & Company. The illustration on the front looks like something that could have inspired Rube Goldberg.
An advertisement from the Adrian, Michigan Times of December 21, 1872. Dr. A. Trask's Magnetic Ointment was being offered by D. Ransom, Son & Company at that time.
An 1874 almanac from D. Ransom, Son & Company.Return