E. B. Eddy
The E. B. Eddy Company, Ltd. of Hull, Ontario opened a branch at Ogdensburg, New York in 1880. A large volume of business was done in the first year, but it apparently was not profitable. The factory was sold to the Diamond Match Company in 1881. Stamps were issued from late November of 1880 to mid-May of 1881. 9,513,000 were issued on watermarked paper.
There are two varieties of this stamp, as shown above. The one on the right is strongly recut and somewhat darker in color than the one on the left. There are other minor differences as well.
Enlarged sections showing the strong recutting.