Richardson Match Company
The D.M. Richardson Match Company was started around 1856 in Detroit, although they maintained an office in Chicago for some time. Their proprietary stamp was one of the first approved, and issued in red from August 1, 1864 until March of 1865. 3,675,000 were issued on old paper. The color was changed to black and issued from March of 1865 until August of 1875. 56,670,267 of these were issued on old paper and 59,010,990 on silk paper. The copy above is on silk paper.
The D.M. Richardson company also used three-cent stamps. These were issued in vermilion from September of 1864 until February of 1865. 850,000 were printed on old paper. The color was changed to blue as of February of 1865, and stamps of this color were issued until August of 1875. There were 32,408,210 printed on old paper and 25,289,806 on silk paper. The copy shown is on old paper.
The firm changed its name to the Richardson Match Company in 1875. This was reflected in the company's stamps by the end of that year. The one-cent black was issued from December, 1875 through April 26, 1883, when the company was a part of Diamond Match. 42,300,117 were issued on silk paper and 118,952,819 on pink and watermarked papers. The one above is on silk paper.
The altered three-cent stamp was issued from December, 1875 until February, 1876. 4,021,530 were issued on silk paper.
An 1868 D.M. Richardson bill for matches. Note the list of products at left.