F. Zaiss & Company
From 1864 until 1875 four companies used the same stamp, which was simply inscribed "Matches." The Deputy Commissioner of Internal Revenue sanctioned this as a form of limited partnership in 1864, but that ruling was questioned by the Department several times until, in 1872, the Acting Commissioner said it would be necessary for each company to have its name on its own stamp. This directive was ignored for almost another three years. The joint stamps were issued from September of 1864 through November, 1865. 110,706,850 were issued on old paper and 58,081,789 on silk paper. The one above is on old paper.
The four companies were Michael Daily, John Schick, E.K. Smith, and F. Zaiss & Company. The generic Franklin stamps can be found overprinted "M.D." with a date and "J.S. - Aug. 26 - 1867".
One of the companies that had used the generic Franklin match stamp was E.K. Smith of Philadelphia. His company took ownership of the Franklin die and had it altered for their sole use by adding their name below the bust. These stamps were issued from December, 1875 through January 24, 1881. 16,105,050 were printed on silk, pink and watermarked papers. Some were rouletted by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.
The perforated copy above was printed on silk paper. All of the rouletted stamps of this and other issues are on watermarked paper.
Frederick Zaiss had been dead for nearly three years when his picture was placed on the F. Zaiss & Company stamp. These were issued from February, 1876 through February of 1881. 22,558,000 were issued on silk, pink and watermarked papers. This one is on silk paper.